Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Academic Advising

*Please don’t contact your major advisors about any college GE’s or university requirements. Your major advisor advises you on your major only.

Undergraduate Academic advising at UCSD is shared by two sets of advisors:

College and Major Advisors

College Advisor

  • General Academic Support
  • College General Education Requirements (IGETC, TAG, writing courses)
  • Quarter by quarter planning for college general education & university requirements
  • Petition course for general education requirements
  • University Policies
  • Graduation and Unit Requirements
  • Assist with study abroad, financial aid, VA forms, International Center forms, student athlete forms, and verifying
  • completion of college and university requirements for graduation

Major/Minor Advisor

  • Advise on Major or Minor Requirements
  • Petitioning a course for credit towards a major/minor requirements
  • Global Health Field Experience Requirement
  • Double Major Petition
  • Application for Special Studies Course (Independent Research 198/199)

Additional Advising Resources

Career Services

Healthbeat (Career Advising for Pre-med and Pre-health students)

Study Abroad

For Study Abroad Advising, including international field experience, visit First Steps to get started or schedule an appointment with Global Health Field Experience Advisors:

Quick Links:


What grading options do I use when taking courses for my major or minor?

All courses for the Global Health major or minor must be taken for a letter grade

Can I repeat a course?

  • You may only repeat grades of “D” “F” and “NP”.
  • You may repeat a maximum of 16 units.
  • The original grade earned remains on the transcript, but will not factor into your GPA if it is successfully repeated later.
  • If a student exceeds 16 units of repeat coursework, future repeated course grades will be averaged together.
  • If you receive a “D”, “F”, or ”W” in a sequential course, DO NOT enroll in the subsequent course. You must successfully repeat the first course in order to continue in the sequence. NOTE: This is NOT true of MMW; you may continue in the sequence and re-take MMW 1 at a later date. A “D” grade is considered passing and will complete the requirement.

Find more info here

How do I petition a course for my Global Health major or minor?

Obtain course pre-approval (recommended):

Submit a pre-approval petition to obtain permission to take a course not listed on the approved course list. 

You will be notified via the Virtual Advising Center once your request has been reviewed (please allow 2 weeks before contacting advisor).

Upon completion of the course, submit ONE of the following petitions:

(Wait until the course has posted to your academic history.)

For courses accepted by petition (*) or courses that have already been pre-approved:

Courses that are accepted “by petition”, indicated with an asterisk (*) will not automatically show up on your degree audit. 

Send a message through the VAC requesting the following:

 "Please accept _____________, a Global Health Pre-Approved Course, towards _______________ requirements for my Global Health ___________ (Major/Minor)."

I'm lower division standing or don't meet a course pre-requisite, can I still enroll in an upper division course?

Some departments allow lower division standing students to enroll in upper division courses if they are in good academic standing. You can submit a pre-authorization request here. 

How do I sign up for GLBH 198/199?

What are the procedures if I am registered with the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD)?

You must present the OSD Authorization for Accommodation (AFA) form in person to the Global Health Advising Office within the first two weeks of the quarter. We will coordinate with your instructor or TA to schedule rooms for your exams. It is your responsibility to show up at the scheduled time with required exam materials.

Please Review the Global Heallth Program's OSD Policy here.

Contact GHP's OSD Liason at or Contact OSD.

Is Medical School an option for Global Health Students?

Yes, there is not one pre-med major. Choose a major that you enjoy and be sure to include the pre-requisite courses.

See: Career Resources

How are the Global Health and Public Health Major Different?

What is Global Health and Public Health?

"Global health has areas of overlap with the more established disciplines of public health and international healthThe global in global health refers to the scope of problems, not their location. Thus, like public health, but unlike international health, global health can focus on domestic health disparities as well as cross-border issues. Global health also incorporates the training and distribution of the health-care workforce in a manner that goes beyond the capacity-building interest of public health.

Global Health understands that health challenges stem from many factors well outside of disease – ecological, cultural, institutional, historical, evolutionary, social and technological (Lancet 2009; 373: 1993-95)". 

Public Health seeks to improve human health through the development and application of knowledge that helps prevent disease, protects the public from exposure to potential harm, and promotes health throughout the state, the nation and the world.


  Global Health          

Public Health


   Health issues that transcend national  boundaries

   Focus on specific communities or countries





   Prevention and clinical care



   Health equity among nations

   Health equity within a nation or community


   Highly interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary

   Multidisciplinary, particularly with health and social sciences

     (Source: Lancet 2009; 373: 1993-95)

What are the differences between the Global Health and Public Health degrees offered at UC San Diego?

Global Health:

  • The Global Health Program offers a Bachelor of Arts and effective Fall 2019, a Bachelor of Science in Global Health. Both are good options to prepare students for careers in pre-med or pre-health.
  • The Global Health major is interdiscplinary and balances the biological sciences, medical social sciences, medical humanities and global processes.
  • All students will complete a global health field experience requirement to gain hands on experience in the field.
  • During Spring quarter of Junior year, all Global Health students have the option to apply to our two-quarter Horizons Honors Thesis Program (to be enrolled into during Winter and Spring Quarter of their senior year).
Public Health:
  • The Public Health Bachelor of Science curriculum is built on the five core competencies in Public Health: Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Environmental & Occupational Health, Social and Behavioral Aspects of Health, and Health Policy & Management. 
  • The Public Health major is currently capped and students must complete FMPH 40. Introduction to Public Health with a letter grade of B or better to be considered for the major.
  • All students who entered UC San Diego in FA16 or later are required to complete the Public Health two-quarter capstone course sequence.

The two majors do share some overlaps and differences. Students should review the different curriculum's and see what is a better fit for them. Students can achieve similar career outcomes with either degree.

View each major's requirements here:

Where is the Global Health office located?

I am interested in talking with a Global Health student, who can I contact?

The Global Health Student Advisory Committee can answer your questions about Global Health courses, certain field experience opportunities and other aspects of the program.

How do I calculate units towards my maximum?

  • Students may complete a maximum of 200 units.
  • This is increased to 230 if a student is completing a B.S. degree in the Jacobs School of Engineering, or 240 if a student has an approved double major.
  • Completing a minor (which is not required for your degree) does not add units to the maximum allowed.
  • Pursuing pre-career preparation (such as medical school prerequisites) does not add units to the maximum allowed.

Your maximum unit limit is based on total credits passed (listed on your TritonLink Academic History as "Crdts Pssd")

When calculating units completed, we do not count the following toward the maximum. We subtract them from your credits passed:

  • Units granted by Advanced Placement (AP) examinations.
  • Units granted by International Baccalaureate (IB) examinations or diplomas.
  • If you are a transfer student with IGETC, Partial IGETC, or UC Reciprociy, we consider 60 of your transfer units as applying toward completion of General Education and major requirements, and will deduct transfer units beyond that. For example, if you transferred to UCSD with 105 units and IGETC complete, we would deduct 45 units in our calculation.

Major/ Double Major/ Minor Questions

How do I add Global Health as my major or minor?

Students may change their major or minor using the Major/Minor tool in tritonlink. No approvals are needed to change a major or add a minor.

To switch to the Global Health B.S. Degree, you will need to drop your Global Health B.A. and then add the B.S.

For additional information visit

Do AP courses count towards any Global Health requirements?

The following AP courses will be accepted:




Major  Requirement

AP Statistics

3, 4, or 5

4 units

Statistics requirement (B.A.)

Stats course as part of the year of math (B.S.)

AP Biology

Score of 4 or 5

Exempts BILD 1, 2, and 3

4 units

BILD 3 accepted for biological science elective (B.A.)

BILD 1, 2, and 3 accepted for year of biology requirement (B.S.)

AP Calculus AB

3 - exempts Math 10A

4 or 5 - exempts Math 20A or 10A

4 units

MATH 10A/20A accepted as one math course for the B.S. degree

AP Calculus BC

3 - exempts Math 10A/20A, 10B

4 or 5 - exempts Math 10A/20A, 10B/20B

8 units

MATH 10A/20A and 10B/20B accepted as 2 math courses for the B.S. degree


Please also read through UC San Diego's AP Credit Policy.

Can I overlap upper division courses between my major and minor?

Effective FA16, a student may apply the equivalent of two upper-division courses (a maximum of eight units) to fulfill the requirements for a minor that have also been used to satisfy the requirements of a major.  

Double Minors:

  • You may overlap up to two upper division electives between your major and each minor.
  • You may not overlap upper division courses between double minors.

DARS automatically overlaps two upper division courses on your degree audit that are compatible between your major and minor. If you would like to change or reject those courses then you will need to email your minor department in the VAC to request the changes.

How do I declare a double major in Global Health?

To apply for a double major, you must complete the Double Major Petition form. Students should meet with an advisor from each major to plan out coursework. Meet with your current major first to map out your remaning courses.


  • Must have completed 90 UC units (junior standing) and have no more than 135 completed units.
  • Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
  • Have completed a majority of the prerequisites/lower division coursework for both majors
  • Be able to complete the 2 majors in no more than 240 units.

Notes on Double Majors:

  • You can count lower-division courses toward both majors.
  • Each major must have 10 unique upper division courses. You may overlap any upper division coursework after 10 unique courses. 

Once you complete the form:

Sample Global Health Double Major Plan (Global Health side filled out for General Biology Double Major):

What is the Global Health Honors Thesis Seminar?

During Spring quarter of a student's junior year, Global Health majors may apply to be a part of the two-quarter Horizons Honors Thesis Seminar, open only to Global Health majors in the BA and BS. This seminar will provide an opportunity to expand, deepen, and share the insights of your Global Health Field Experience or a topic of interest in the field of global health, with members of your cohort.
  • Winter Quarter: GLBH 150A. Global Health Capstone Seminar I will consist of intensive reading and discussion in fields related to each student’s primary interest and building on your field experience. 
  • Spring Quarter: GLBH 150B. Global Health Capstone Seminar II will be a workshop with critical input from all participants focused on preparing a senior thesis that will provide an important credential for students in the next stage of their careers and as they prepare applications for graduate academic or professional training.

Please Note: All students must complete their Global Health Field Experience Requirement prior to enrollment in the Honors Thesis Semiar 

Do I have to write about my field experience for the thesis?

While students do typically base their capstone thesis and project on their field experience topic, it is not required. Students are encouraged to base their thesis on a topic that particularly interests them.

How long is a thesis?

Thesis requirements include:

  • 9-10,000 Words of text, not including bibliographic references or tables, on an approved global health research question.
  • Students must have at least 30 peer reviewed, scholarly resources and use the Chicago Manual of Style for citations.
  • Additionally, students will complete a research poster and participate in the Horizons of Global Health Research Symposium in Spring quarter.

Coursework and Grading

What should I do if I did not receive a grade in a course that I attended?

Contact the professor as soon as possible to see why you did not receive a grade. In most cases, it is a simple clerical error that requires your professor to generate the appropriate form to assign your grade. Please note that blank grades will default to an F/NP if it is not assigned a grade by the end of the next quarter.

How do I get pre-authorization to enroll in an upper division course through another department?

Students with lower division standing who would like to take an upper division course, please submit a course pre-authorization request here.

If I am seriously ill and cannot complete my final, what should I do?

Contact your professor as soon as possible to discuss the options that they will allow. If your professor agrees to let you take an Incomplete in the course, a Request for Incomplete form must be processed prior to the end of finals week. If you are unable to fill out the Incomplete form, you may ask your professor to generate the form on your behalf. It is the student’s responsibility to follow up with their professor the following quarter to see when and how the work should be completed. Failure to do so will result in an F grade for the course.

How do I request an Incomplete?

If circumstances beyond your control prevent you from completing a class, you might be able to request an Incomplete. 

To obtain an "Incomplete" in a class, you do not need to sign any paperwork or file any petitions.  It's simply an agreement between you and the professor for the class.

  1. Make sure you're eligible for an Incomplete.
  • If you're not passing a class because you've simply fallen behind, you're not eligible for an Incomplete. In order to earn a grade of "I" you must be passing the class with all the work done thus far. Grades of "I" only entitle you to complete the additional class work and tests from the point when you determine you will take an "I" - they do not entitle you to redo work or make up points.  They also do not entitle you to additional outside tutoring or coaching by the professor or TA.
  • If you decide to withdraw from a class, you can do so until the end of the ninth week.
  • Read the Academic Senate policy on Incomplete grades.
  1. Request an Incomplete.
  • Contact your instructor to find out if requesting an Incomplete is appropriate in your circumstances.
  • The deadline for requesting an incomplete shall be no later than the first working day after final examination week.
  • Note: Your instructor may require the submission of an Incomplete Form. This form is NOT required by the department or University anymore; the agreement is solely between you and the instructor of the class. It is at the instructor's discretion whether to grant you an Incomplete and what steps they require of you.
  1. Make up (remove) the Incomplete.
  • You must complete your work by the date given by your instructor. (This date can be no later than the last day of the next quarter's tenth week, excluding Summer Session.)  If you don't complete your work, you'll receive a permanent F, NP, or U for the class.
  • You will not receive any reminders to complete this work, nor will the department follow up with you.  It is your responsibility to ensure that your course work is complete.
  • The instructor will assign the new grade to replace the Incomplete in your record.

Note: You do not re-enroll in the course.

What are my chances of getting into a course if I am on the waitlist?

Since the waitlist is automated, there is no way for the program to know your chances of getting into a class. It is highly recommended you enroll in a back-up course in case you are not added. Tritonlink and the waitlist are no longer working after the end of week 2, so if you were not added from the waitlist by that time, you are no longer considered to be on the waitlist.

How many study abroad courses can I count towards my degree?

A maximum of six UCSD upper-division courses can be petitioned for credit toward the major.

A maximum of two UCSD upper-division courses can be petitioned for credit toward the minor.

For study abroad pre-approval, submit here.

Field Experience

When should I start my field experience?


  • Global Health B.A. majors must complete their Field Experience Requirement of 100 hours prior to the beginning of Winter Quarter of their senior year (required to enroll in senior capstone course GLBH 150A & B).
  • Global Health B.S. majors must complete their Field Experience Requirement by the quarter they plan to graduate.
  • If Global Health minors choose to complete field experience, this must be done by the quarter they plan to graduate.

How do I find a field experience?

For a complete list of Pre-Approved Field Experience Opportunities, click here. Additionally, here are some tips for finding an experience that is not on the list:

What do I do when I complete the field experience requirement?

Upon completion of your Global Health Field Experience, you are required to provide the Global Health Advisor with a document verifying that you completed your hours. Once the verification document is received, your degree audit will be updated to show that your field experience is "complete" and a notification will be sent to students through the VAC.

Please note: Student may submit no more than 3 letters or verification to complete their 100 hours.

Please refer to this page here for your options regarding verification documents.

Study Abroad

How soon should I start planning for studying abroad?

Study abroad forms are due at least three quarters (1 year or so) before the departing term.  For more information, visit the Study Abroad Office in person or on their website.

What are my first steps?

For Study Abroad Advising, including international field experience, visit First Steps to get started or schedule an appointment with Global Health Field Experience Advisors:


How do I find a study abroad program?

Check out our Study Abroad page to find global health-related programs, or go to Study Abroad at UC San Diego for help finding programs that can fulfill other academi requirements.

What should I do once I find a Study Abroad program?

Once you have selected a Study Abroad Program you will want to get pre-approval for coursework you plan to count towards your Global Health requirements.


How do I add my Study Abroad coursework to my Academic History?

Wait until the course and grade has posted to your academic history. 

Upon completion of the course submit one of the following petitions:

Submit an Online Petition Request or

Submit an Undergraduate Student Petition (paper form)

Include the course # (as it appears on TritonLink), course title, # of units, grade received, quarter/semester the course was taken, the University in which you were enrolled and specify the requirement you want to apply the course toward (e.g. Fulfill Global Health Major Elective Requirement). Please also sign and date the petition.

Submit completed petition(s) & syllabus to the Global Health Advisor (The paper form can be scanned and sent via email ( or dropped off in the GHP Office). 

You will be notified via the Virtual Advising Center once your request has been reviewed (please allow 2 weeks before contacting advisor). 

Incoming Students

Academic History

Students can check their academic history in TritonLink.

Why is my Academic History blank?

If your Academic History is blank, this may be due to missing transcript(s) and/or AP/IB scores. Contact the UCSD Admissions office to see if they have received your transcript(s) and/or AP/IB scores if you submitted your scores by the July 15th deadline.

What is my Degree Audit and where can I find it?

Your degree audit is a tool used to track your academic progress. To find your Degree Audit, go to TritonLink and select TritonLink Tools/Advising Tools/Degree Audit.

I sent my AP scores to UCSD. How can I check to see if they were received?

Visit the Triton Checklist at and click the relevant links under the "Transcripts and Test Scores" heading to see if your AP scores have been received.

If my AP score clears me from a UCSD course, can I still take the course and get credit for it?

If you retake a course at UCSD that you already have credit for, you will NOT receive units or GPA for that repeated course.

Transcripts and Transfer Coursework

How do I check to see if my transfer credit(s) were received?

The UCSD Admissions Office will post test scores and/or transfer credit to your Academic History on TritonLink (TritonLink Tools/Grades & Transcript Tools/Academic History).  

If I took courses elsewhere and it’s not posted to my records yet, but I need it to enroll in a course for Fall, how do I get access to enroll in that course for Fall?

Make sure your transcript(s) has been sent to the UCSD Admissions Office.  If received by the UCSD Admissions Office, follow up with them to see when they can post your transfer credit.  If your transcript is pending receipt or pending posting, submit an Enrollment Authorization System (Easy) request to the academic department to allow enrollment.

I took a course at community college that i think should fulfill my lower division requirements. How can i get it to count?

Check your Academic History. If your course is showing up in the list of transferred courses, but only has the designation “LD” in the right-hand column, your course has only transferred in as Lower Division credit.

  • If you believe that your course should count toward your Global Health requirements, check ASSIST for equivalency first. If your course is not listed on Assist, you will need to fill out an Undergraduate Student Petition form (instructions below).

Submitting Course Petitions

These instructions pertain to your Global Health requirements only. Your college will assist you with general education and specific college requirements.

  1. Submit an online petition request OR
  2. Submit an Undergraduate Student Petition (paper form)
    • Include the course # (as it appears on TritonLink), course title, # of units, grade received, quarter/semester the course was taken, the University in which you were enrolled, and specify the requirement you want to apply the course toward (e.g. Fulfill Global Health Major Elective Requirement). Please also sign and date the petition. Submit completed petition(s) & syllabus to the Global Health Advisor (The paper form can be scanned and sent via email ( or dropped off in the GHP Office).

Enrolling in Classes and Enrollment Times

Will our appointed times to select classes be given at random?

Appointment times are randomly assigned for all new students entering Fall quarter.

What website do we go on to sign up for classes?

Webreg. (See full tutorial here)

What happens if you miss your enrollment time?

Your appointment time starts and ends at a given date, so if you “miss” the start of your allotted time, you may enroll in classes until your time ends. Try to register as close to when it begins as possible. Keep in mind that appointment dates/times are based on Pacific Standard Time (PST).

What if I’m out of the country when my enrollment appointment time begins?

You can still register for classes during your appointment time, given you have internet access.  Keep in mind that appointment dates/times are based on Pacific Standard time (PST). Try to enroll as close to when the appointment begins as possible.

Useful Links