It is increasingly recognized that the best health professionals will have interdisciplinary perspectives, social and cultural acuity (such as in cross-cultural settings) and team-oriented skills.
The Global Health Program's unique research, writing, and field experience opportunities make both the BA and Minor excellent preparation for advanced training in health professions including; medicine, psychiatry, dentistry, nursing, public health, and pharmacy, as well as graduate training toward the Ph.D. and research or teaching careers in health sciences, medical social sciences, health policy and health law, environmental studies, or medical humanities.
Students may find employment with international health agencies, government agencies and departments of health, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) concerned with health issues, and private business or industry.
Are you a Pre-Med Student? Students pursuing their B.A. in Global Health will be able to fulfill their major requirements, as well as their pre-health prerequisites, in the four years it takes to complete the degree with proper planning. Students should utilize Career Services Healthbeat for pre-med advising and preparation.
Your UC San Diego Pre-Med Hub is called HealthBeat!
More Information found on the Global Health Major page.
Health Beat Resources:
Schedule a Meeting with Career Services for Career Advising
The Career Services Center strives to help UC San Diego students determine and fulfill their career goals. Throughout your academic career, they are here to help you learn about yourself, develop skills and identify resources to pursue your professional and academic objectives.
Individual Advising - Get career advice and information on topics such as:
- Choosing or changing your major
- Planning your job search
- Finding a job or internship
- Interviewing & negotiation
- Utilizing self-assessment tools
- Deciding on a career
- Networking effectively
- Changing career direction
- Making the most of a job fair
- Applying to professional & graduate school
When looking for a career in Global Health....
- Global Health: Career Options & Specialization
- Investigate Careers in Medical Research
- Establishing a Career in Global Health Research
- Global Health Hub
- Finding a Job in Global Health: Advice from Five Experts (2014)
- Drug Abuse Careers
- Explore Health Careers: Global Health
- Exploring Health Careers
Resources for Searching for Jobs:
Start by thinking about organizations that you are interested in working with and bookmark their career posting pages. Some examples are:
- Careers with International Rescue Committee (IRC) - Working with Refugee Populations
- Partners in Health (PIH) Employment Opportunities
- Project Concern International (PCI) Employment Opportunities
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- United Nations Development Programme Job Postings
- NIH Resources for Careers in Global Health
Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
The CDC has employment opportunities for those not in a science-related field. See the Recruitment page to see what openings are available. http://bit.ly/2hRI33Y
- CDC Global Health Jobs Overseas for Recent Grads
- Recent Graduate Opportunities
- CDC Career Opportunities in Global Health Guide
- CUGH List of Educational Programs and Courses
- Physician's Assistant Program Directory
- UC San Francisco - Global Health Sciences (Masters and PhD Programs)
- UC Berkeley - Master of Public Health - Global Health Concentration
- Duke University - Master of Science in Global Health
- Harvard Medical School, Department of Global Health & Social Medicine
- Georgetown University - Master of Science in Global Health
- University of Washington - Master of Public Health in Global Health
- John Hopkins University -Masters of Science in Public Health - Department of Global Health
- George Washington University - MPH and Dr PH Programs in Global Health
- Yale University - School of Public Health - Global Health Concentration (MPH)
Looking for a graduate program abroad?
Check out goabroad.com to search for programs.