Independent Research 

GLBH 198 is a directed group study on a topic or in a field not included in the regular departmental curriculum by special arrangement with a faculty member. 

GLBH 199 is an independent study that gives students the opportunity to explore in more detail what they have learned in the classroom or in their global health field experience. Students engage in research on a topic of their choice, under the guidance of a Global Health affiliated faculty member of their choice in conjunction with their internship experience. The project should be carefully planned with the faculty advisor and be focused on a Global Health issue/topic.

The Global Health Program will accept a combo of up to two GLBH 198/199 courses towards the major and minor. Submission of an application does not guarantee approval. Deadlines are strictly enforced. 

Global Health Students who are taking this course to fulfill elective credits must take the course for a LETTER GRADE and receive a C- or better.

  • UCSD Requirements: Must have 2.5 GPA and have completed 90 units.
  • Deadline: Students must have all materials submitted by week 1 of the quarter they plan to enroll.


1. Complete Application Process (see steps below)

2. Have a Faculty Advisor and submit a 10-page Research Paper or Project

2. Track Internship Hours (100 hours required, must be completed during the quarter enrolled)

4. Complete AIP Requirements outlined below

Steps to Enroll in GLBH 198/199

1. Identify research or internship opportunity

Use one of the following resources to identify an internship opportunity or create your own:

2. Identify Faculty Mentor

Choose a faculty advisor whose area of interest and research covers the topic that you want to pursue.  Professors are not always available in a particular quarter so you may want to have more than one professor in mind that you would like to work with.

Students may work with a Global Health affiliated faculty member or seek pre-approval to work with a non-affiliated UC San Diego Faculty member. Please submit your learning agreement and the GHP will review the faculty member.

  • Faculty sponsor/instructor must have a UCSD faculty titleIf the mentor is not from UCSD s/he has to be from an appropriately accredited institution.
  • If there is a 199 mentor who is not part of our affiliated faculty that a student would like to work with please submit the following information to to get approval.
    • Proposal: Professor title, info, contact, website, reason you would like to work with the professor and what you plan on working on for your 199 experience.

When meeting with potential faculty instructors, it is important to discuss the nature of the project, frequency of contact, prerequisite knowledge needed, and the means of evaluation with the faculty instructor prior to enrollment in this course.

3. Complete Application Process

For Internships found through AIP:

For Student Developed Internships:

For Independent Research working with a faculty member:

  • Complete Special Studies Form and follow steps outlined below.

Once your Internship has been pre-approved by AIP:

  • Download the Special Studies 197, 198, 199 form (PDF).

  • Get necessary approvals:

    • Ask your instructor to review and sign the application.

    • Get Stamp of department approval. The department will create the GLBH 198/199 course. 

    • In the event that an exception is required, then the student must take the form to their college for additional approvals before taking it to the Registrar’s Office.
  • Submit completed application by week one to:

4. Complete Requirements

1. At the end of the quarter, you will submit a 10-page Research Paper or Project to be graded by your faculty advisor

2. Track internship hours (100 hours required, must be completed during the quarter enrolled)

4: Complete the following: Reflective Assignments, Self Evaluation and Program Evaluations

4. One meeting with AIP counselor during quarter enrolled

5. Submit Field Experience Verification (if necessary)

Student completing the Internship for their Field Experience Requirement:

Once a grade has been assigned, obtain the Supervisor Evaluation form via Internlink and send to to verify your hours.


What is Research?

Research is a systematic inquiry that investigates hypotheses, suggests new interpretations of data or texts, and poses new questions for future research to explore.

Research consists of:

  • Asking a question that nobody has asked before;
  • Doing the necessary work to find the answer; and
  • Communicating the knowledge you have acquired to a larger audience.

Why is research experience valuable?

Undergraduate research helps to foster faculty-student collaboration within and outside the university. You have the opportunity to share in a professional researcher's work, to learn how he or she formulates a significant question, develops a procedure to investigate it, obtains research funding and other resources, gathers and examines evidence, follows hunches, and evaluates and shares results with the scientific community.

Getting involved in research allows you to draw together classroom learning and particular interests to contribute to the design and execution of a research project.

Explore the REAL website to learn about workshops, funding, and other support available including Undergraduate Research Scholarships.

What requirements do GLBH 198/199 courses fulfill?

GLBH 198/199 counts as a medical social science elective for the Global Health Major and elective courses for the minor.

It also fulfills the Global Health Field Experience Requirement.

*Field Experience does not have to be credit-bearing to fulfill the Major and Minor Requirement. Students who complete their Field Experience for course credit can apply the credit towards their Global Health Major or Minor Elective Requirement.  

What is the role of the Faculty Advisor?

It is expected that students will arrange to meet with the faculty advisor a minimum of three times during the quarter to discuss progress on the research paper and internship, project or research.

Additional roles include:

  • Help you determine an appropriate topic for your research paper or project
  • Formally approve the proposed topic by completing the special studies form with you
  • Respond to questions and recommend appropriate academic reference materials
  • Provide feedback on your research/writing process, including how to effectively analyze the topic and develop your paper or project
  • Provide a letter grade: Faculty will assess the quality of your final research paper or project and assign a LETTER Grade

Where can I find resources for writing my research paper?

Are there any research scholarships available?

Can I enroll in Summer?

Students may enroll in GLBH 198 or 199 for summer under certain circumstances. Paperwork must be submitted prior to the start of summer session.


  • 4 units = 120 hours of work; average of 24 hours per week

Please note: Students may participate in any one Session (I, II or Special) or in both Session I and II. Students may NOT participate in Special Session and Session I or Session II.

*Summer session fees are assessed based on the number of units and number of sessions in which you enroll. For more information on this, please visit Summer Session Tuition and Fees (Blink).